- General News
Cedar Lane Unitarian Universalist Church seeks a full-time Building and Grounds Manager who will be responsible for managing the upkeep of the church facilities and grounds.
The Church facilities include one large main building and an auxiliary building used for meetings and similar activities. The facilities are approximately 65 years old. The Church sits on a six-acre wooded lot with extensive grounds and multiple parking lots.
The Building and Grounds Manager will:
- Ensure that church buildings and utility systems are in working order. Periodically inspect pipes, pumps, motors, HVAC system, and electrical system for proper operation. Carry out minor repairs to buildings and equipment. Ensure recommended seasonal maintenance completed on buildings and HVAC system.
- Execute a schedule of grounds maintenance needs (e.g., tree/shrub/garden/lawn maintenance, leaf collection and snow removal). Maintain fountain, drainage systems, snow blowers, lawnmower, leaf blowers, and other equipment.
- Supervise Custodian and Facilities Technician. Ensure adequate facilities staff coverage at all times. Ensure that routine and deep cleaning of the church buildings is performed and provide assistance as necessary. Routine cleaning includes kitchens, bathrooms, offices, auditorium, and meeting rooms. Deep cleaning includes stripping and waxing floors; shampooing carpets; machine scrubbing bathroom floors; high dusting; and washing windows, among other tasks.
- Ensures rooms are set up as needed for meetings, worship, and special events (weddings, memorial services, etc.). Coordinates with church staff in charge of rentals to ensure renter and tenant needs are met and policies enforced. Regularly checks the church calendar for regular and special events.
- Monitor the church buildings and grounds maintenance budgets (submits all expenditure receipts in a timely fashion).
- Monitor buildings' compliance with applicable building codes and fire safety regulations.
- Monitor contract jobs and completion by service vendors. Research and vet potential contractors, making final recommendations to Team Leaders and Executive Director.
- Attend monthly staff meetings and meetings of the Facilities and Grounds Teams.
- Ensure that supply rooms are maintained in a clean and orderly fashion and that an adequate inventory of building maintenance and hospitality supplies is maintained.
- Generally be available outside of regular hours for emergencies relating to buildings and grounds including snow removal.
Skills and Knowledge Required:
Handy at a wide range of minor repairs; able to keep organized records; able to operate major building systems such as HVAC systems, fire detection system and electrical systems. Able to draft specifications for contracted work, assist with the selection of a contractor, and assure the work is completed appropriately before recommending payment. The person should have knowledge and skills in maintenance of building machinery, and cleaning materials, products, and equipment. Must be reliable and able to work with church staff in achieving the goals of this position. Good communication skills, experience as a supervisor, excellent organization skills, and the ability to interact effectively with a variety of people in routine and stressful circumstances is necessary. Ability to communicate in Spanish useful but not required.
Send a résumé, cover letter, salary requirements, and contact information for three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications reviewed on a rolling basis, please submit early for immediate consideration. Start date in late June.
Salary $45,000 - $48,000, dependent upon experience. Benefits include health, dental, life, and LTD insurance. Retirement plan with employer contribution after one year. Paid holidays, and paid vacation and sick days.